Friday, November 3, 2017

An Interview with...Monie Ebner

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wolfgangsee


Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry. I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find
Monie here on Ravelry.


https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wolfgangsee


Where do you find inspiration?
Thinking about your question I just realized that most of my ideas come while knitting! The first time I can remember was my “Wolfgangsee” for which the idea came to me while knitting the “Schafberg”. So my hands do their job and my head is already on the next project. It may also be that seeing a yarn skein immediately an idea appears … and then it is swatching time…

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I’m a huge fan of top down knitting for garments and its advantages. And for my shawl designs I like to use slip stitches. They often bring a special touch in the simplest pattern.


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
Of course, I do. No one can go through the social media world without being influenced. Before I start swatching for a new design idea I check if there is already something similar or even the same.  


How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I knit the sample myself and have about 20 testers, sometimes even more. For me, a test knit is not only to check a pattern for errors. My pattern is the “guideline” and it is always interesting to see what my testers create of it, which colours they choose and sometimes what mods they include.


Did you do a formal business plan?
To my shame, no … as much as I need tidiness in my workplace, this (important) part has been neglected until now.


Do you have a mentor?
Not in that sense, but I have lovely people around me who give me the feedback and the support I sometimes need.


https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ischl


Do you use a tech editor?
No. I have a dear friend who has a first glance on a new pattern and amazing test knitters who often have eagle eyes (especially for my strange maths ;).


How do you maintain your life/work balance?
My knitting/designing should be the main part of my daily life and I try to manage anything else around it … but often it is quite the other way round. That’s one of my goals … to handle it better.


How do you deal with criticism?
Criticism isn’t a bad thing. In case it is constructive, it can be very helpful to get feedback about my patterns and how they are interpreted. 


https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mondsee


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
If you are burning for your ideas, then give it a try.


What’s next for you?
My next project is my Advent MKAL in December that will take place for the third time in my Ravelry group. This event is a wonderful way to finish off this year and I’m really looking forward to it (and I know many others as well :). For the coming months I have many ideas, not only for knit designs, but that’s still in the planning stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment