Friday, October 14, 2016

An Interview with...Tatiana Tatianina

 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/arancio



Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.


You can find Tatiana here and here on Ravelry. 

Where do you find inspiration?
Usually it comes suddenly without any special findings. Just something from inside out pushing me to grab needles or hook.
 

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I love lace most of all. Lace and cables together sounds good as well.

How did you determine your size range?
As I love lace dresses I found that they fit for slim bodies. So I prefer 34-40 sizes.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blue-karin


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I randomly look at the Internet and if something is interesting I put it into my “collection of ideas”.

How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
I am not quite sure that I understand “dumbing down” right but in any case I consider that everyone should be guided by his own feeling of what is right and what is wrong. Something “dumbing down” for one person could be starting point for beautiful idea for another person. Try everything that you find interesting.


How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I prefer to do everything myself so I have no testers yet but I am working on it.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monsoon-shade-of-grey

Did you do a formal business plan?
No. Never.
 

Do you have a mentor?
I could call my grandmother as my mentor. She passed away 2 years ago at the age of 91. Of course it was her who taught me and my sister how to knit, crochet, sew, and embroider. But now I think it was not pure skill that we learned from her. It was joy, happiness and love. We experienced the power from her when she was doing all these arts. So we learned exactly the sense. That is the way how masters taught their apprentices in old days. They radiate the love.


Do you use a tech editor?
No.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/a-dress

How do you deal with criticism?
I hate it *smile*. It is pain but it is the way to learn more. True critics show the way to improve and I love to become better than I was yesterday.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/holi-silk


How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?
2 or 3 years after I finished my CEO career.

What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
Love yourself, listen yourself, trust yourself only because you only know what is right. You are the judge for yourself.

What’s next for you?
I always have 4-5 ideas in my mind. Moreover recently I found weaving could be my next passion.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/la-lune





No comments:

Post a Comment